About this Forum
In its Decision BS-IV/15
the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Protocol (COP-MOP) invited Parties "to make submissions on a strategic plan for the Protocol" and requested the Executive Secretary to:
- develop a sound methodological approach to contribute to an effective second assessment and review of the Protocol, its annexes, procedures and mechanisms, on the basis of the information contained in the first national reports, answers to the "effectiveness questionnaire", the report of the Compliance Committee, information on the Biosafety Clearing-House and any other relevant documents;
- draft criteria or indicators that could apply in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the Protocol and provide an indication of the utility; and
- present a draft strategic plan for consideration at its fifth meeting on this basis.
At its meeting on 8 November 2009
, the Bureau of the COP-MOP established a consultative process to enable Parties and other stakeholders to submit comments on the draft strategic plan and the proposed frameworks for the second assessment and review of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety under Article 35.
On 9 December 2009, the Executive Secretary issued Notification No. 2009-171
in which Parties were invited to submit comments on the Draft Elements of a Strategic Plan of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety.
In accordance with a schedule of consultations established by the COP-MOP Bureau at its meeting of 8 November 2009, a forum is thus provided on this page for allowing comments on:
Go to the top of the page
- the proposed framework for the second assessment and review of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety under Article 35, and
- the updated draft elements of the strategic plan for the Protocol.